Thursday 5 November 2009

Got a new phone.

It's a Nokia, fully equipped with color screen and state of the art security system. In order to unlock, you have to select Unlock, then press a special key. I won't tell you which one.

It's actually a pay-as-you-go phone I bought from Best Buy to house my SIM card until the upgrade from my AT&T plan kicks in. It's humbling in a couple ways. Losing a huge chunks of data from my previous one shows me how weak I am as a human, so tempted to despair over the loss of information, so affected by a simple malfunction. How easy it is to get frustrated and ask those disgruntled questions about life we all ask when things don't go our way, though I have resolved to maintain sobriety. On the other hand, it's inspiring (and intimidating) to know that this cheap bottom-of-the-line buddy was once on top. I remember when color graphics was a really big deal. In fact, my sister's isn't even color (she's steadfast like that). I'm amazed to know that I basically witnessed the birth and development of the cellular phone. It's kinda like watching the your cousin or neighbor's kid grow up.


Lastly, it makes me giddy, because I just found out Andrew Ho has the same one in black. His mom washed his other phone, so he bought this sleek number yesterday, which to my surprise was the same day I got mine. And honestly, I wouldn't have expected such a moment to be with anybody else. If it were Melody she would get grossed out and think we were becoming too similar -- you know, one of those couples. Eek.

1 comment: