Thursday 26 November 2009

Hi Pastor Ed,

When Melody proposed that I write to you, I took on the job quite instantly. While I already mentioned a lot in your birthday e-mail, I'm compelled to say more. I was 10 years old when my parents moved to La Habra, allowing me to stay at CFBC. From that time on I felt somewhat like a community child. Not to discredit the care of my parents, but I found myself clinging to whatever adults were nearby or whichever ones knew who I was. What I would later come to know as one of your most charming peculiarities, was how easily you remembered my name. Perhaps it was the countless Sunday afternoons I spent at your house, or the occasional night's stay, but you quickly became more than my pastor. You probably don't remember -- as I'm sure the walls of your mind are jam-packed with Scripture, languages, family lineages and names of visitors -- but I want you to know that I still remember the little moments. I remember how you used to call me "Ian boy." I remember the first time you picked me up for a sleepover with Jan Jan. I remember how you used to smile at me when I raised my hand to share blessings at prayer meeting -- sometimes I'd raise my hand for that very purpose.

You see, I'm happy to be the one writing in place of your now grown/overseas children, because growing up you have been the most prominent figure of a godly Christian man in my life. My father struggles to identify himself with Christ, even today, so early on my hopes turned to you as that role model I needed. It's befitting enough to say that every boy longs for the approval of his father, and as much as I have always chased yours, you readily handed it over in faith. I attribute so much of my growth to that patient, resilient, gentle faith that you had in God's plan for me.

Your hand-print is unmistakably apparent on my development as a believer and leader, and so it's with great ease that I praise God for you, Pastor Ed. It's with great ease that I sorrow over you too. At the time of your heart failure, I don't think I've ever prayed so hard for anyone in my life. That was a frightening and sobering time for me, one now that I am blessed to have had; God has given our church a healthy warning to cherish the time He's given you to stay with us, or should I say given us to stay with you. And believe me, Pastor Ed, I do. I really do. I love you.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Ian

1 comment: