Tuesday 2 February 2010

What The New Year Brought.

Resolutions, resolutions, resolutions. A tradition that tends to lose its significance as we get older and think less of it -- but ah so is it for all traditions, isn't it. Like Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter, I'm determined to approach this one with intention and endurance. So what did I resolve to do?
Consistency is my theme for 2010, written in brown and light green marker on scratch paper, masking taped to my wall (I'm also trying to spend less money so I worked with what I had). I've been told my behavior is erratic, and I don't doubt it. For years I used to take subtle pride in the fact that I was committed to so many things, that I had to be here, there, and yonder all at the same time. I realized a few years ago that this wasn't because I was overcommitted, it was because I was under-committed. There was something in me that avoided commitment and did so by "needing" to be somewhere else. I tried to be everywhere, but was too often nowhere to be found. Looking back I really regret the relationships I've hurt because of my poor character, which now fuels my desire for change. So where does that begin?

"pray without ceasing...for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you" (1 Thess 5:17)
Before any others, my relationship with God is the first to suffer from my inconsistency. What the author is saying here is that prayer is how we spend time with God, and that it needs to be regular and consistent. Praying without ceasing suggests a mental attitude of prayerfulness, continual personal fellowship with God, and consciousness of being in his presence throughout each day. But that's only half of the conversation.


"So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ" (Rom 10:17)
The natural companion. God speaks to us in a lot of ways; through nature, through events, through people, but He speaks to us chiefly through the Bible. This, along with church and accountability, are essential to building consistent relationship with God. If you used to read it, start again. If you never have, can I ask why? If you have issues with it, let's talk it out -- I have a feeling I can help. Message me if you want to know more.

These are two of a number of habits I've decided to build this year. I put up a list of some habits to maintain (daily, weekly, monthly) and goals to achieve (1 month, 3 months, 6 months) right up on my wall where I have to look at them every day. If it works for Michael Phelps, I'm sure it couldn't hurt. The plan is to start small and build my way up; I still have a list of potential habits and goals that I'm not putting up until I know I can handle the ones currently active. It's been effective so far; there's a significant decrease in anxiety when you're no longer putting things off.

Not pictured is the one habit I haven't managed to lasso: blog regularly. I could come up with a million excuses for why I've kept so many juicy stories away from this blog, but the real reason is simply a lack of discipline, that somber old tune. I want to change that starting now, and I hope you'll join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment