Thursday 18 February 2010

Audition #9.


"It's not raining, boy."

The moment I started walking down the sidewalk amidst clear weather with an umbrella over my head, I knew I would be writing about it later. The neighborhood is relatively quiet, but I wasn't surprised to have someone call me out on my ridiculousness. I did it because I saw the branches violently rustling outside my window, and I didn't want to mess up my hair.

Sigh…let me explain...

It starts with me waking up for about the third time, noticing on my phone that it's two hours past my goal time for rising and shining. An easy shuffle to the shower and back. Once more I look at my phone to find a missed call & voicemail from my manager -- she says can't chat with me this morning as I previously requested, but "that's okay just do well on your audition today."

…my what?

I go to my inbox to find the day-old e-mail and immediately prepare for the audition I have to be at in less than 3 hours (including the 30 min train ride to Manhattan). Oh yes, and I have to call work and let them know of this spontaneous conflict. This is what an actor hoping to work has to be prepared for. I was told yesterday that you've got to want the job like any of these Winter Olympians want the gold, no excuses. Without hesitation I pick the outfit, print out the sides (audition script), and grab my folder fully stocked with headshot & resume trimmed to 8x10 standards. I rummage through clips of the show I'm auditioning for, practice a "slight Chinese accent," and get some intel on the casting directors to stock the small talk with relevant ammo. The longer you can keep them engaged with you, the better (note: does not apply to fiancees).

Of all the things I'm prepared to bring, I'm prepared to bring myself. The more I've been learning about the business the more I've learned that ultimately you have to bring yourself because that's what you're marketing, and intuitively the last thing an actor thinks to bring to his performance is himself. Thankfully, I am not the auditioning actor I was in September. Whew, God is good.

Oh yeah, and the umbrella. Hey, you do what you think will help you look your best for the audition, right? I don't mind looking like my mom evading the sun's rays if it will help me look my best. As it turns out, it doesn't. I can't figure out where the air is blowing from and it just…doesn't help.
Winter breeze shan't cool my fire!
I shall press on thitherto
as though I were the bravest of souls
immortalized on Halls advertisements!
How does it go? Well, I don't hesitate in saying it's by far my best audition yet. One quick, confident, take and some enlivened conversation afterward and I'm out the door. All the training, centering, disciplining, is really paying off. And leave it to none other than God to make the audition location three blocks from work. I finish my audition at 12:15 and by 12:20 I'm in uniform behind the register like a real New Yorker. Well, like a real working actor.

7 comments:

  1. you're legit.

    not only in the acting sense, but also in the writing sense.

    but you already knew about those both.

    rock on, jurian!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you do not rock julian. you lock and groove like a little kid. keep at it

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the writing and stories!

    ReplyDelete