Saturday 19 September 2009

Subway Observations #1

As written in my iPod:
Sept 18, 11:50PM
Hard-looking guy, wouldn't make eye contact with him on the street. Looks like the guys talking outside the barber shop. With his 3-yr old son, giggling and playing, his son straddled on his lap, almost as if there was nobody else on the subway car.

Sept 19, 3:15PM
Couple stroll in their toddler. No seats available. Husband grabs hold of pole and puts his other arm around wife. Wife grabs stroller and holds it close as the three huddle together as one mass. Passenger leaves at next stop so I get up and offer the two vacancies to them.

Someone once asked me that if I could live in the city or the country, which would it be? I replied "both, and for the same reason." There is just so much to do. The only times I've ever felt this crowded were at theme parks and the fair, but I'm refreshingly not frustrated by it. People traffic is slightly less agitating than the kind in cars, but here in New York I don't feel the slightest bit annoyed. Then again this is just my first week, and it's not like I have a job or anything to press me for time. The past three days have consisted of waking up on the other side of the double digit numbers, relaxing for a bit, showering, more relaxing, then out to wander the streets for most of the hours, trusty backpack at my (back)side.

Getting the hang of the subways (thank you NYC map application), which allows me to enjoy one of my favorite pastimes and observe the life around me. My friend asked me why I wasn't more excited to be here. She thought I was apathetic, but how can I possibly be so, when I just voluntarily moved across the country? Not in the city, not with plethora of places to ponder, and a surplus of sights to spark thought. At this point, I'm quietly taking it all in.

3 comments:

  1. the couples stroll in their toddler?
    Did they carve their toddler out and make leg holes in the toddler and make a toddler suit and walk around! That's sick. Only in new york.

    ReplyDelete
  2. siiiick!
    i'm glad you're having a blast.

    nice webcaming with you tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete