Saturday 27 August 2011

Hurricane Irene @ 2AM

Just ran out into the street for a second. From my window you can see gusts of wind turning the raindrops into airborne waves. You see turbulence through the blurry pane almost as well as you can hear it. I moved Remy's cage into the middle of the room, away from the windows. He's still not free to pee on the couch though. I'm at a conflict of interests here. I'm prioritizing my safety, heeding warnings, following instructions i.e. filling pots and pans with water, eating the perishables, etc. I'm staying indoors. But I don't want to let the whole thing pass by without experiencing it. The wind is getting louder. Many of the native New Yorkers haven't lived through a hurricane before, much less a Southern Californian transplant of two years. I don't want this weekend to pass by and keep that status.

I can't believe that opera woman is still singing. And at this hour.

I walked down Broadway for a moment. The delis are still open. Makes sense. Whether at the store or home, you're stationary either way. Might as well make some money.

I can say I saw the hurricane. That is, I felt it. It's somewhat like an encounter with God. You only feel the enveloping presence. You couldn't possibly see the extent of it. Still, it takes but a single moment for you to feel minuscule, awestruck, terrified, and riveted all at once.


Yes, it was very exciting.

1 comment:

  1. You're the man, Julian. And congrats on your engagement! - Ian

    ReplyDelete