Saturday 28 August 2010

Mad dash.


I hotfoot it out the library in a huff, cascading down those massive steps of the public library, quickly turn a corner, and hop onto a marble divider in hopes of sidestepping the people traffic. I'm not sure whether it's my own tenacious procrastination or just the excitement of the city that causes me to scurry at the speed of the proverbial New York minute. It's most likely the former masking itself as the latter. Suddenly, out in the distance, on the other side of the divider, appears my instant nemesis, a fellow marble-rider. She's strolling atop the slab carefree, delicately swaying to and fro as her hot pink long-sleeves reach for balance. My eyes squint and internally mutter "I don't think so, sister." I shift my focus to her cheery grandma helping her along and ask myself what the heck I'm doing playing chicken with a little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment