Saturday 22 May 2010

Happy Normalday.

Today is a day like any other, except that I was born. I've been conditioning myself to believe that for the past few years now. Any significance someone gives to this year's transition to that score-and-four thus feels unexpected, perhaps even undeserved. What better birthday can you have when you realize everything you get is a gift? Consider this,then, my thank you card.

Thank you Facebook friends, for taking ten seconds out of your day to wish me a happy birthday. The act itself is fairly trivial and banal, which makes it all the more puzzling why you would choose to do it, and makes me all the more grateful that you still did.

Thank you "Friends," for the card. I came home to be stunned by changes to the house and thrilled by the long awaited home-cooked meal; only to be floored by this colorful welcome wagon in addition.



Melron put together what she titled "Words From Friends," a collection of notes each featuring one word they thought described me and why. It's all too clever, a kind of appreciation mosaic of how people have been individually affected by your life. I enjoy receiving clothes, shoes, gift cards, electric toothbrushes, whitening strips--even books these days--but expressions of encouragement and affection like this trump them all (of course if you wanted to get me anything C.S. Lewis in addition, I certainly wouldn't mind).

Thank you Dad, for picking me up and waiting with me for a good half hour before realizing that the poor abandoned suitcase wandering the baggage carousel was actually mine. Thank you for the Chinese food lunch, the drive home, and probably one of best conversations we've ever had. Thank you Mom, for, in your own customized benevolence, bringing home generous amounts of Aveeno lotion. If in fifteen years my skin is retaining a remarkable amount of elasticity I'll know it's because of you.


Thank you Melody Cruz, you are always a good reason to come home. I consider myself someone generally able to articulate well and express myself creatively, but oh the many moments when I stand before you and find it difficult to speak. Your kindness, your patience, your gentility, all springing from your firm planting in the joy we have in Christ--they render my words inert in describing my admiration. Thank you for putting together such a thoughtful and touching gift. I love you.


Thank You God, for the way you strive to please a sinner who has too often rebelled against You. Thank you for the chasing me down, staring straight into my soul and with the wonder that is Jesus' sacrifice revealing Your heart to me. Thank you, for although I was once dead in my sin I am now alive in Christ.

Here's to twenty-four, here's to many more,
Here's to seeking out what God has in store.

Whatever I lose, whatever I win,

All praises and glory and honor to Him!
Thank You Father, for the miracle of today...there's nothing normal about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment